Saturday, September 27, 2003

The Awful Truth

We rented The Awful Truth, Michael Moore's television show from 1999 and 2000. Wow. The most creative in-your-face guy I've ever seen. Watch this and then watch Bowling for Columbine and you'll see how toned down he was for Columbine.

Mike's new book, Dude, Where's My Country, will be out Oct. 7. This is the beginning of the end for George Bush.

For some real fun, we get to help Mike figure out how to spend his tax cut!

I'd like to point out that the booing on the Academy Award stage during Mr. Moore's acceptance speech for his Best Documentary Oscar was done by a few right wing, gun-totin' union stagehands (not teamsters as Steve Martin put it) from IATSE Local 33.

Yes, that's right, I know it's an oxymoron. Right-wing union guys. But there's plenty of them. Big, burly, biker guys with bad backs and big guns. Even some little fire-plugs who just want tax cuts no matter what. All of them give me the I'll-stop-them-with-a-baseball-bat attitude when I say the guys they vote for would like to crush their union and make this a right-to-work (for less) state.

My contacts at the Oscars that night tell me the main culprit, Steve Ross, was near a microphone and booed loudly enough to be picked up on it. Then, the backstage incident, which Steve Martin apparently witnessed, featured brother Ross walking up to Oscar winner Moore and faking a sneeze that was really a loud "Bullshit."

I sent an open letter to the union saying that no matter what you believe, we're there on a professional level, working, and not in a position to say anything. In fact, it made us look bad to the Hollywood elite who we want to employ us. We say we're worth more money than non-union guys because we're better. More professional. I suggested that if Steve Ross wanted to say something that was pro-gun and pro-war, he should win an award that gets presented in front of a billion people.

I think it's time I sent out another letter to point out the irony that what Mr Moore said about a "ficticious war" being fought for "ficticious reasons" turned out to be, well, not "Bullshit." Turns out that all of the pseudo-patriotism Brother Ross displayed was the, ah, ah, ah....

BULLSHIT!

I'm sure if Brother Ross had a family member in Iraq being shot at, he'd still be an asshole. And Bush would still be a liar.

No comments: