Monday, December 01, 2003

A Chat with Jack Sheldon back stage at Like Jazz

I sat down next to one of my favorite Jazz musicians, Jack Sheldon, backstage at the Mark Taper Forum last week. We're they're doing "Like Jazz" through Jan 25th. I'm running projection. Jack is 1st trumpet and sings two songs. We chatted about the Hollywood Bowl. He asked me who my favorite Jazz musician is and I said Art Pepper, and Jack went off. All kinds of Art Pepper stories. Art had a tough life and a heroin addiction. But Jack only mentioned that briefly, like it was a sad disease. What mattered most to Jack about Art was how well he played. I could see a hint of tears welling up in the chubby bags under his tired eyes.

Apparently, his eyes are the only things of Jacks that's tired. He flirts a lot (even on stage during "Don't Touch My Horn." And, he's doing eight shows a week!

I never knew Jack was the voice of the I'm still just a bill up here on capitol hill guy of School House Rock fame....

No comments: